A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is placed into the jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. It may be an option for people who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason. Dental implants are a long-term option for restoring your smile. They are made up of titanium and other materials that are compatible with the human body
Ideal candidates for dental implants
The following are ideal candidates for dental implants:
- People with healthy gums.
- People having teeth that need to be replaced.
- People with good general and oral health.
- People with no untreated gum or bone disease.
- People with no medications because it may interfere with bone growth.
- People who have strong metabolic health.
- People who are not a daily smoker.
- People who have enough bone to anchor the implants in the jaw (people who have lost bone in their jaw still can get implants, but first they need to rebuild the bone using special procedures).
- People who are committed to taking good care of the implanted teeth and surrounding gums.
Some people who may not be good candidates for dental implants, include:
- Young people whose jawbones are still growing.
- Expecting mothers.
- Heavy smokers because smoking can reduce the likelihood of a successful implant.
- Alcohol or substance abusers because they might not follow the dentist’s instructions after placement of the dental implant. They also may not take good care of their teeth and gums.
- People who have received high-dose head radiation treatment or neck radiation treatment.
- People suffering from chronic diseases or systemic problems, such as uncontrolled diabetes, connective-tissue diseases, hemophilia and significant immune deficiencies.
Want to Undergo a Dental Implant Procedure? Contact Dr. Aki Shirakura & Associates
If you are considering dental implants, the staff at the office of Dr. Aki Shirakura & Associates is both trained and experienced in the process of dental implants. Contact us today to see if dental implants are the right choice for you. Call us at 914-303-6150 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are dedicated to addressing and meeting the needs and expectations of each and every patient who walks through our doors.