It is really important to have good oral health habits. If you don’t properly take care of your teeth and gums, you may face oral diseases which will make it difficult for you to chew. The healthier your teeth and gums are, the better you look and feel.
Importance of healthy teeth and gums
Taking care of your teeth and gums and keeping them healthy prevents plaque which is a clear film of bacteria. If you do not clean your mouth after you eat, the bacteria are attracted by sugars on your teeth causing gingivitis. Unhealthy gums will make your mouth sore making it difficult for you to eat. Your teeth and gums become sensitive making it difficult for you to drink and eat cool or hot items. Oral health is very important to avoid all these problems.
Tips to take care of your teeth and gums
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss between your teeth every day.
- Cut down on sugary foods and drinks.
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Do not brush immediately after you eat a big meal. Wait for about a half an hour.
- Do not bite your nails or any other objects as it can cause tiny fissures and/or cracks in your teeth.
- Visit a dentist at least once every 6 months for checkups and cleaning. Visit a dentist immediately if you are facing any dental problem.
Most problems with teeth and gums are preventable if you follow the above tips and visit a dentist regularly.
If you are facing any dental problems, call Dr. Aki Shirakura DDS at 914-273-9280 for an appointment with expert Westchester, White Plains, Armonk NY cosmetic dentists.