A Dental crownis a fixed prosthetic device that is cemented onto existing teeth or implants. It is a tooth-shaped “cap”that is placed over a tooth—to cover the damaged tooth completely. A dental crown will restore the tooth(s) shape and size, strength and improve its appearance. It can be used for:
- To protect a weak tooth (for instance, from decay) from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- Covering a dental implant.
- Restoring a fractured tooth
- Attaching a bridge
- Covering a discolored or a poorly shaped tooth.
- Covering a tooth after root canal treatment
Dental crowns are made from different materials including: stainless steel, gold alloys, porcelain-fused-to-metal, all-ceramic or all-porcelain. Porcelain or ceramic crowns are appropriate for people with metal allergies, they also provide a better natural color match than any other crown types.